Friday, March 6, 2009

I've got Seoul

We are half-way through our travels and maxin' in the Rest n' Relax area at the Seoul Korea airport. We didn't get into the nicer lounge because we weren't "elite" members (I knew I should've worn my tux). After checking our email at the free WiFi spot (where you at ATL airport?!?) we decided to get some real authentic food. After finding a squid swimming in Kristen's soup, Courtney got a 15cm Subway sub and I opted for a Whopper meal. I was slightly offended that the cashier at the BK asked me to pay "five dollars" instead of whatever the local currency was (I didn't check) like everyone else had to pay. I was even more enraged that after profiling me as an American she still only gave me one ketchup packet. I thought to myself, maybe she's had a long shift and politely asked for more. I received a second ketchup packet; I politely asked for more. It was at this time that the manager came to the front to see what was going on. I explained the situation to him and offered to pay whatever kind and amount of money to get a sufficient amount of ketchup packets. Fortunately he was delightful and gave me an American handful of the most amazing, high fructose corn syrupy ketchup of the day. I bowed and went on my way to eat my Seoul food. 

The flight to Bangkok was uneventful. Between naps I had woken up to eat, drink, and fall back asleep. The high point of the flight was the Red Carpet Cheesecake ice cream for dessert; the low point was accidently catching a glimpse of the movie Twilight on my way to the restroom. When we landed in Bangkok and proceeded to customs I was quickly reminded that I am not a US citizen and was delightfully asked to leave the group and head 
back to get a visa. Since there were armed guards walking around
I figured I would just do what they said. When I got to the visa parlor I waited in line behind a large group from China. Five sweaty minutes later I was informed that there was a form I needed to fill out behind where the line starts; I did. Ten nervous minutes in line later I was kindly asked to provide a photo for the visa. Hmm. Where did I put those passport photos... Oh yea, in my imaginary "never got 'em" pocket. Luckily, there was a photobooth a few miles east and, yes, you guessed it, they only take Baht and nath the US dollars. A currency exchange booth was conveniently located back at the visa shop. A few long moments later I was reunited with my American group and we were on our way to our hotel. 

At the hotel we were warmly greeted and quickly showed to our rooms. The rooms are very nice and modern, and include a kitchenette and flat screen TVs... very snazzy. After we got settled in we showered up (except for India and Angela... P-U) and got ready for the big adventures that tomorrow will surely bring. Stay tuned...


Adam Vytykac

2 comments:

  1. SOM TI HOVORIL ZE MAS BYT PRIPAVENY....
    KTO NEMA V HLAVE MA V NOHACH POZNAS TO...
    NO NIČ UŽIJ SI TO TAM A DAJ SI BULGOGY....KOREJSKA ŠPECIALITA... HAVE A NICE TRIP, NOT LIKE AROUD AIRPORT
    BUJAKASA R O B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am grateful for this blog to distribute knowledge about this significant topic. Here I found different segments and now I am going to use these new instructions with new enthusiasm.
    ถั่ง เช่า

    ReplyDelete